Sunday, May 22, 2011

Piggies in a Blanket


I feel so bad that I have not been cooking much lately. I guess you can say I'm in a bit of a funk. And yes, my friends, the rumors are true: my husband left me and my daughter so these past 19 months have been quite a roller-coaster ride, but in the end me and my baby girl have survived. And now that my daughter is almost 2 years old I'm beginning to notice in her how much she likes helping me in the kitchen and she specially loves baking.

My daughter's daycare has potlucks every 3 months or so to gather all the families and hang out and just have a good time. The theme last week's potluck was "camping food." And since I'm not a big camper I decided to make pigs in a blanket from scratch. Perhaps this is not typical camping food, but I figured since they were "mini" pigs in a blanket the kids would just love to pick them up and eat them. And they sure did! I used turkey lil' smokies for my recipe, but you can use pretty much any type of hot dog and just cut them down to size. I'm thinking next time I may have to try them with some Fenway Franks because those are truly my favorite hot dogs!


Ingredients (makes about 18 - 22 pigs in a blanket)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 18 miniature hot dogs, such as lil' smokies or cut down regular-sized hotdogs
DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.

Grease a large baking sheet.

Sift the dry ingredients (flour through salt) into a mixing bowl. Rub the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese until evenly distributed.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Let the dough sit for 3 minutes.

Sprinkle the dough with flour and stir once or twice then turn out onto a well floured counter.
With floured hands, pat the dough into a 15 by 7 inch rectangle, trimming the sides if necessary to get a true rectangle.

Using a pizza cutter, slice the rectangle into thirds horizontally then slice each third into thirds vertically, this will give you 9 small rectangles. Slice each rectangle diagonally into two thin triangles.

One at a time, roll up the sausages in the triangles. Place pointy side down on greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on the sheet for 3 minutes then tranfer to a wire rack. *Note: mine took 15 - 18 minutes to fully cook through, but that is because I don't have a very good oven. Just an FYI to check for doneness before serving.

1 comment:

Eric Juarez said...

Armida, I was googling imitation crab ceviche and stumbled upon your blog. You have NO IDEA how helpful your blog is going to be to me. I am a father of 19 month old twins and as the cook of the family, i constantly struggle to make things delicious, healthy and different for my little ones. Our sitter and grandma tend to think that the kids will be happy just eating estrellas with potato every day. I can't imagine they are getting any good nutritional content from just that. Thank you for sharing your recipes.

Eric