Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sweet Potato Oven Fries with Avocado Dip

I love fries...but what girl doesn't, right? One of my favorite kind of fries (besides truffle fries) are sweet potato fries. Since I'm trying (keyword: trying) to eat healthier these days, I found this recipe for oven fried sweet potato fries--yes, I know "oven fried" is an oxymoron--and I have to say the fries were good, but not as crispy as I would have wanted them to be. Next time I will cut the potatoes much thinner, almost matchstick, and bake them less time because some of my fries got burnt. However, the fries were delicious and the avocado dip was pretty good, too. You can also use the avocado dip as a substitute for mayo in a sandwich. I got this recipe from Simply Delicioso, which is not one of my favorite cooking shows but some of the recipes are pretty good.

INGREDIENTS

Sweet Potato Fries

  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 4-inch long and 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick fries
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Coarse ground rock salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Avocado Dip, recipe follows
DIRECTIONS

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and toss with olive oil until the sweet potatoes are coated. Add the paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper; toss to distribute evenly.

Arrange the coated fries in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes on the lower rack until the sweet potatoes soften. Transfer the pan to the upper rack of the oven and bake 10 minutes longer, until fries are crispy. Serve with Avocado Dip.

Avocado Dip

  • 1 Hass avocado
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup cream cheese
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped.
  • 2 scallions, white and light green part only, chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS

Place the avocado, mayonnaise, cream cheese, jalapeno, scallions, and lime juice into a blender or small food processor. Blend for 1 minute or until you have a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve as a dip for the Sweet Potato Oven Fries.

2 comments:

DanniellaAnn said...

Delicious! Thanks for the new recipe.

Estella said...

I LOVEEE this dip. I make it all the time for parties now & its always a big hit. Thanks for the recipe! And I love your blog!