Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Banana Cake

I found that we had two overly ripe bananas in the house the other day and, of course, the first thing that came to mind was banana bread. I checked my cookbooks for recipes and I also checked online, and the recipes were all pretty much the same. I had remember a long time ago that my mom used to make a banana bread with sour cream. So finally, I found the recipe below (it is for banana muffins, but I adapted to a cake) and the cake was moist and delicious and it goes so well with a hot cup of coffee. I called this banana cake because I didn't have a loaf pan, so I baked it in a 9" round cake pan. Next time, I might make a strudel and put it on top. Umm..that would be yummy.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 ounces chopped walnuts, optional
DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9" cake pan.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.

Working with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until pale and fluffy.

Beat in the vanilla, then the egg, beating for about 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the bananas. Finally, mix in half the dry ingredients (don't be disturbed if the batter curdles), all the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture. Stir in the chopped walnuts by hand.

Pour cake batter into cake pan.

Bake for about 28 to 32 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Transfer cake to a rack, cool for 15 minutes, then gently turn the cake out of the pan. Cool to room temperature on a rack and cut into wedges and serve. YUM!

No comments: