INGREDIENTS (makes 6 tuna cakes)
- 2 cans of tuna in water, drained
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. flour
- Olive oil
- 8 oz. canned crushed tomatoes and its juice
- 1/4 tsp. Spike Seasoning or your favorite seasoning salt
- Steamed white rice, as a side
In a bowl, combine first 8 ingredients and mix well. Place in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes. Start cooking your rice, if you haven't done so yet.
In a large skillet, heat about 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high. Mix the tuna mixture again (it will be a little watery) and divide into 6 equal parts and slightly flatten them into patties.
Once the oil begins to shimmer, add 3 tuna cakes and cook for 3 minutes. Flip cakes over and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cakes and cover with foil to keep warm and finish cooking the remaining cakes, adding more olive oil to skillet, as needed.
Once the final batch is done, keep warm in foil. Add the crushed tomatoes to the same skillet and 1/4 teaspoon Spike seasoning and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes. Add all the cakes back into the skillet with tomato sauce and simmer one more minute. Remove from heat.
To serve, place two to three cakes in a plate, drizzled with some of the tomato sauce and with a side of cooked white rice. Mmmmm....thanks, mom!