Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Balsamic Red Onion Salad

Lately, I've been eating a lot of beef and once in a while is nice to just have a big salad for dinner. I found this recipe when I was looking for a marinated balsamic onion recipe for tapas. I suppose if you really want meat, you can also toss in chunks of grilled meat or leftover chicken, but this is a very delicious simple salad. I sprinkled a little bit of toasted walnuts on my salad and used herbed feta and it was still nummy!

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 - 6 medium-sized red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
  • 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • lettuce mix
  • feta cheese, crumbled
  • olive oil for drizzling
DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 300ºF.

Place the cut onions into a baking dish, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, a little brown sugar and season with salt and pepper. Bake covered for 45 minutes.

Remove cover and bake for a further 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.

Toss with salad greens and crumbled feta. Before serving, drizzle with a little olive oil.

No comments: