Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Blood Orange Martini

You know I just love cocktails. Sadly, now that I'm older, I can't tolerate spirits in high alcohol content as much as I used to. That is why I really love inventing cocktails that combine exotic fruits or juices yet still have a little punch. I created the Blood Orange Martini with a few blood oranges that my co-worker gave me. He's got tons growing in his backyard; I used blood oranges that were about 3 inches in diameter.

Blood oranges are juicy, sweet and have a dark red interior and are slightly less acidic than regular table oranges, but they are also scary. When you slice through them they seem as if they are bleeding. Very creepy. The red "blood" does stain, so be careful when slicing them. Finally, I used gin in the original recipe, but good quality vodka works well too.

INGREDIENTS (1 martini)

  • The juice of 2 blood oranges (about 2 oz.)
  • 1 to 1-1/2 oz. Absolut Vodka, depending on your preference
  • 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
  • 1 oz. light cranberry juice (not diet, though)
Put a lot of crushed ice in a martini shaker. Add all of the ingredients and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into a martini glass. Decorate with a twist of the blood orange peel if you prefer.

No comments: