Monday, February 06, 2006

Quick and Easy Hors d'oeuvres

GNS Alley Cats
Whew! Talk about a busy weekend. Not only did I participate in this year's Qualcomm's Rock-n-Bowl charity event on Friday night with my fellow "GNS Alley Cats", I also attended my cousins Cheer-Off on Saturday morning. And, by the way, her team won first place for Junior Varsity cheerleaders! Way to go, Fernanda! San Ysidro High School JV Cheerleading Squad

That same Saturday, my friend Isabel got married and I was asked to provide the hors d'oeuvres. This was a wedding of about 56 people. My sister-in-law, Lindsey, also made a delicious hors d'oeuvre. On the menu we had Caprese Sticks which is a veryCaprese Sticks simple little bite but everyone loved it--actually ALL of the hors d'oeuvres were gone in less than 40 minutes! I also made proscuitto e melone, basically cantaloupe and honeydew melon wrapped in proscuitto di parma. I have to thank my husband because he helped me in all the prep work, too. Finally, Lindsey made crostini with slices of proscuitto e meloneblue cheese and drizzled honey over it. All three hors d'oeuvres were simple, but quite delicious. You can find the recipes for Caprese Sticks and Proscuitto e Melone here.

Crostini and blue cheese Crostini & Blue Cheese

  • 1 Baguette, sliced into 1/4" rounds - about 40 slices
  • 1/2 lb. Danish Blue Cheese (or Roquefort Blue Cheese)
  • Honey
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Meanwhile, place your blue cheese in the freezer (15 to 30 minutes).
  3. In a baking sheet, arrange all the slices of bread and toast them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. You want them to be toasty and golden brown. Removed from oven and let them cool.
  4. To assemble: Arrange the crostini in a platter. Remove the blue cheese from the freezer and slice it into 1/8" slices. Place a slice of blue cheese over each crostini. By the time you are done arranging them, the cheese should be thawed out.
  5. Drizzle honey over each crostini and watch your hors d'oeuvre dissapear!

No comments: