Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homemade Tortilla Chips

If you've never had homemade tortilla chips then get your tastebuds ready to be wowed! When you make your own tortilla chips the taste, the crunch, everything is different and, oh it tastes so much better too! Although the recipe below says to use 4 cups of oil, I will usually only use a large 10" pan and only use 2 cups oil, however I do have to make smaller batches. And don't forget to add that pinch of kosher salt after every batch of your tortilla chips. Guacamole, watch out!

INGREDIENTS (Yield: 3 dozen chips)
  • 9 corn tortillas, cut into wedges or strips, whichever you prefer
  • 4 cups corn or vegetable oil
  • Salt

DIRECTIONS

In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.

In batches, add the tortillas to the oil, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until golden brown, turning once, 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with kosher salt. Serve warm with your favorite salsa.



  • 1 comment:

    Unknown said...

    Hi. I was looking up my name on the web and found your site. I too am a foodie and my name is Armida.
    I am still too shy to share my words on the web, but I am happy to find another mother named Armida who shares about her life and food. I tried to comment earlier, but I do not know what happened. I am a divorced mother of two teen age boys and I know how hard the holidays can be.