Thursday, June 24, 2010

Martini Scallops

I am a sucker for seafood, we all know that, but it's not very often I get wowed by sea scallops. I enjoy eating these mollusks, but sometimes I feel they are over priced, at the grocery store and restaurants, and oftentimes people tend to overcook them. But when I went to the Balboa Park Food and Wine ooking school last week, the chef showed us how to make this dish and it blew me away. He did not use any salt or pepper whatsoever, and they were wonderful. You want to use large sea scallops (8 to 12 per pound) and don't go buy fancy diver scallops. Just good quality, fresh sea scallops will do. This serves 4 to 6 people, depending on how many scallops you get on the pound and this makes a fabulous first course or pair it with a salad and it makes a pretty good darn meal.

INGREDIENTS
  • 8 ounces large sea scallops
  • 3 ounces clarified butter (you have to use clarified butter or ghee. Don't use regular butter or olive oil)
  • 1 chopped shallot
  • 1/2 cup gin
  • 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
  • Garnish of lemon twists or lemon zest

DIRECTIONS

Heat the clarified butter in a saute pan. When hot, add the shallots and saute until golden brown. Add the scallops and saute until firm, about 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the gin and dry vermouth (be careful with the open flame) for another minute. Serve immediately with some of the sauce and garnish with lemon twists or lemon zest.

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look wonderful and, if nothing else, they're the happiest scallops in the country. This is my first visit to your blog. I spent some time reading your earlier posts to bring myself up to date. I'm so glad I did. I love your recipes and unique take on food. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary