Monday, May 03, 2010

Stella Beer Cheese Soup

The last time my husband was home I tried to make him beer cheese soup. It was a disaster! I had to toss the entire thing out. My issue was with making the roux for the soup. I do not know what I did wrong, but the soup ended up with a texture of soaked newspaper. Anyway, this evening I found myself, yet again, with an almost empty fridge. I had: 1 Stella Artois® beer, 2 spicy, smoked-type sausages, veggies, and in my cupboard a can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup. Can you tell where I'm going with this? Not only did these ingredients inspire me to try to make beer cheese soup again, but also the fact that I named the recipe after my baby girl, Stella.

INGREDIENTS (serves maybe 4 people)
  • 1 celery stalk, small dice
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 smoked-sausages (your favorite kind), diced
  • 1 bottle of Stella Artois® beer
  • 1 (10 oz) can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth or chicken stock or water (optional)
  • Salt and pepper
DIRECTIONS 

In a medium stock pan melt the butter. Add the celery, carrot, onion and thyme sprig and a pinch of kosher salt and sweat over medium-high heat until vegetables are slightly tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the diced sausage and mix to combine and to heat through.
Next, add half of the beer and slightly raise the heat. Bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes. Add the canned cheese soup and mix to combine. Bring to a simmer and add the rest of the beer. Bring to a boil again then, if soup thickness is to your liking, just keep it on very low for another 5 minutes. But if you want your soup a little more thinner, add the 1/2 cup of beef broth. Bring to a boil again, then simmer on low for 5 minutes.
Serve with cheese crostini and a cold, home-brewed Stella beer (if you can find one) or a Stella Artois®.

3 comments:

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

This looks amazing! And what an interesting combination. *By the way, I have been enjoying your blog for about one year now. Keep it up!

Posti4 said...

Soup looks good! I am little confused about one thing you keep referring to a husband but your profile says you are a single parent?

Armida said...

Unfortunately, when I made this soup I did have a husband but I'm a single mom now...oh well! If you guys are ever in San Diego, Stone Brewing Beer & Gardens have an incredible beer-cheese dip there! Cheers!