Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Stew

Okay, I'm not sure if this is really a stew but that's what I'm calling it because you basically put all your ingredients in a pot and let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours. I also used turkey kielbasa just to make it slightly healthier, but you can use regular kielbasa for this recipe. I was quite surprised with the flavor: it was really tasty and a bit sour! I think next time I'll omit the potatoes and cut the kielbasa hot dog-size so I can serve it in rolls with some mustard. Yum!

INGREDIENTS (serves 4)

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (four if you are a garlic lover)
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and diced (try to use a waxy potato like Yukon gold)
  • 1 (16 ounce) bag sauerkraut, from the deli aisle (not canned please)
  • 1 lb beef kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (two if you love sausage)
DIRECTIONS

In a large ovenproof pan put the cold butter with the diced onion, and slowly bring to a simmer on medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add minced garlic and simmer 2 more minutes. Add the thyme and sage. Next combine with the sauerkraut (undrained and unrinsed), kielbasa and potatoes.

Bring to a simmer and cover loosely with foil and place in a preheated 225°F oven for 3 hours. (I cooked mine over the the stove top because it was too hot to use the oven and it came out just fine).

No comments: