INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (four if you are a garlic lover)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced (try to use a waxy potato like Yukon gold)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag sauerkraut, from the deli aisle (not canned please)
- 1 lb beef kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (two if you love sausage)
In a large ovenproof pan put the cold butter with the diced onion, and slowly bring to a simmer on medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add minced garlic and simmer 2 more minutes. Add the thyme and sage. Next combine with the sauerkraut (undrained and unrinsed), kielbasa and potatoes.
Bring to a simmer and cover loosely with foil and place in a preheated 225°F oven for 3 hours. (I cooked mine over the the stove top because it was too hot to use the oven and it came out just fine).