Sunday, May 03, 2009

Simple Organic Salad

This was my lunch today, and I have to tell you, it was awesome. I went to the Hillcrest farmer's market today and I bought organic, farm fresh mesclun mix (the lettuces that Matt planted are not ready yet) and I made this simple salad today. I guess I was also inspired by Chef Alice Waters because she is a strong advocate for farmer's markets and for sound and sustainable agriculture and I just LOVED her food at Chez Panisse when I was lucky enough to visit last November. The tomatoes are from our garden and they were vine-ripe, and I used one of my fav cheeses, Winey Goat, because this cheese has a rich but smooth goat flavor and an aromatic nose of wine. Wow, I never knew sustainable agriculture would be so good.

INGREDIENTS (1 serving)

  • 1 teaspoon red vine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon good extra virgin olive oil
  • A nice handful of organic mesclun mix or your favorite lettuces
  • 6 cherry tomatoes, preferably from your garden
  • a few shavings of Winey Goat cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
DIRECTIONS

In a bowl add the vinegar and a pinch of salt and whisk a little. Add the olive oil and keep whisking to combine. Add the mesclun mix, the tomatoes and a few grinds of fresh ground pepper (I added another tiny pinch of salt, too) and gently toss to coat the salad with the vinaigrette. Place on serving plate then top with cheese shavings and enjoy. This tastes great with a lightly grilled (or toasted) piece of crusty French bread.

No comments: