Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spaghetti with Caramelized Shallots

I haven't been watching much Rachael Ray on Food Network lately only because she had begun to annoy me (just like Paula Deen). I truly don't know what it is about these ladies that annoy me, perhaps it's that they use the same catch phrases all the time. But anyway, I digress.

What caught my eye about this recipe from Rachael Ray is that the spaghetti just looked too easy to make and it only had a few ingredients. The recipe below is for 4 people; naturally I halved it since it's just 1 and 3/8th's right now. And since I ran out of Parmigiano I used the leftover Mizithra, but next time I will definitely add the fresh Parmigiano.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 10 shallots, halved, then thinly sliced
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
  • A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
DIRECTIONS

Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a high-sided skillet. Add garlic and shallots. Season with salt and pepper, then gently cook to caramelize them, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta, salt the water very liberally, then add spaghetti to rolling boil. Cook to al dente.

Add three ladles of starchy pasta water, about 1 1/4 cups, to the shallots and stir.

Drain pasta and add to shallots. Add the parsley and cheese and more black pepper, to taste. Toss 1-2 minutes for liquid to absorb and serve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this recipe on the flight from BOS to SFO in November. I had to make it, too. It's delicious!

I also used this concept and made a caramelized shallot mac and cheese recently.