Friday, October 24, 2008

Lemon and Sage Roasted Chicken

Sometimes when I go to sleep, I start thinking up of food to cook, how to cook it and how to season it. I wanted to make a sage roasted chicken that was juicy. I usually don't have good luck roasting chicken because it tends to dry out on me, especially the breast part. So, instead, I brined my chicken overnight (this was the first time I've ever done this) and left the skin on to make my chicken even more flavorful. The recipe below is just for one chicken breast half, enough for one person.

INGREDIENTS

Brine

  • 1 Chicken breast half, bone-in and with skin left on (but trim any excess fat)
  • 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
  • 1 teaspoon McCormick Montreal seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Cold Water
DIRECTIONS

You will need a plastic container with an air-tight lid that is large enough for chicken. Place 1 cup water and all the ingredients, except chicken. With your fingers or spoon, stir for a few seconds. Add the chicken and then add more water until chicken is completely submerged in the brine. Cover with an air-tight lid and place in the refrigerator over night.

Lemon and Sage Roasted Chicken

  • 2 large fresh Sage leaves
  • 2 thin lemon slices
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
  • Fresh, ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375.

Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Discard brine.

Run your fingers gently under the chicken skin and separate, but don't separate all the way. Place 2 slices of lemon and 2 leaves of sage and one tablespoon of butter under the skin. Rub the remaining butter all over the chicken and grind some fresh black pepper over it. Place the chicken in a baking sheet and bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, or until juices run clear (I have a convection oven, so it took me half an hour).

Remove chicken and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. A nice side of collard greens with bacon would be phenomenal with this dish.

No comments: