- 1 pound bulk Italian sausauge
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 pound gnocchi, from refrigerated or frozen foods section of market
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- Crusty bread to pass at table
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place bulk sausage in a medium bowl. Roll into mini balls, 1 1/2 inches across, and arrange on a nonstick cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm and lightly golden.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil a large skillet over medium-high heat. To the hot skillet, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Then add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for one more minute. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and season sauce with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce for 10 - 15 minutes.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for gnocchi. Drop gnocchi in boiling water and cook 5 minutes or to package directions.
Stir in meatballs and basil into tomato sauce and simmer 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.
Drain gnocchi and arrange on a platter. Carefully ladle meatballs and sauce over gnocchi. Sprinkle cheese over it and serve with crusty bread. So good!