Friday, March 16, 2007

Boxty - Irish Potato Pancakes

Boxty on the griddle,  boxty in the pan,  if you can't make boxty,  you'll never get a man.
It's amazing how St. Patrick's Day is a much bigger deal here in the United States than in Ireland. But it is still so much fun. My husband's family has a tradition of watching The Quiet Man (yes, it's that John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara movie) every St. Patrick's Day. I'm still getting used to their tradition—I find the movie quite silly, to tell you the truth—but I have definitely gotten used to their Irish food. There is nothing like good, authentic Irish food that sticks to your bones...and what is more authentic than boxty (Irish potato pancakes)? Believe you me, you will love these fried up cakes, for breakfast, lunch or dinner!!!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup raw, grated potatoes
  • 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup (about) milk to mix
  • Butter or oil for frying
DIRECTIONS

Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and wring to remove excess moisture.

Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes, and eggs. Add a little milk, if necessary, to make a pliable dough.

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes per side). Butter each boxty and serve hot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this favorite family recipie!

I have fond memories of my mother and her sisters making boxty ('fox pancakes' as we kids called them!) in their mother's kitchen on St. Patrick's Day and Good Friday. No one ever wrote the recipie down though, so thank goodness for the internet and google! Here it is Good Friday and I can pass on the tradition to my teens - better late than never!

I don't remember my mother's family using mashed potato, but I also remember them complaining from time to time that the batter was just 'not right'...maybe that's why!

Thanks again!

Coleen Sullivan Weissman