Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Oldie but goodie: Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apples

My husband and I were in Minnesota recently and, due to some miscommunication and probably a little too much to drink, we misplaced our awesome camera. So I don't have any pictures of some really good dishes we had. However, I am making my famous brussel sprout side dish for Thanksgiving. Here is the recipe again from my post back in November of 2005. Oh, and we found the camera, we just have to get it shipped to us now. Doh!

INGREDIENTS (serves 4)

  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 pint (about 10) sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
  • Coarse salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 small apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices, each slice halved crosswise
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • A big pinch of brown sugar (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange bacon in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned, 8 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts in a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from oven, and toss in apple and large pinch of brown sugar. Return to oven; roast until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender and apple has softened, about 8 to 10 more minutes.
  3. Toss vegetables with vinegar, additional salt, if necessary, and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. Another yummy brussel sprout recipe! This one looks great.

I too, was without my camera for Thanksgiving, and part of it was due to too much to drink to care to find new batteries! :)