Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fish and Chips

authentic fish and chips
I am back from my European Vacation! Sorry I didn't update my blog while I was away, but I was having so much fun in London, Paris and in Ireland that I did neglect my blog for the last two weeks. But do not despair since I did have lots of great food on my trip. And one of my favorite was fish and chips in London. This is England's most famous dish, and don't forget a good ale to go with it. Make sure you use malted vinegar for the chips to get that authentic British taste! Cheers.

INGREDIENTS (serves 4)

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 4 - 6 ounces ale
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
  • 4 large russet potatoes
  • 2 pounds fish fillets, cut in half, crosswise
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 250° F. Prepare batter: Mix flour, cornmeal and salt together. Add ale and mix well. Batter should be thin.

Cut potatoes in even, finger-sized pieces.

Heat oil in deep fryer. DO NOT FILL TO TOP. The potatoes and the fish will cause the oil to bubble. Allow room for the oil to rise.

Cook 1/3 of the potatoes until golden brown, about five minutes. Drain on paper towels. Place in warmed oven. Repeat process until potatoes are done and sprinkle potatoes with a little salt. Note: Do not put in too many potatoes at a time. It will cool the oil too much.

Dip fish in batter, allowing excess to drip off. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in oven until all fish are cooked.

Serve with a sprinkling of malt vinegar.

No comments: