Saturday, June 10, 2006

Strawberry-Avocado Smoothies

My sister-in-law gave me the idea of adding an avocado to a fruit smoothie. At first I thought that the flavors wouldn't meld, but to my surprise they go amazingly well. Make sure the avocado is slightly ripe, but not over-ripe. I also cleaned, dried and stemmed my strawberries first then froze them. You can also buy a bag of frozen berries and use them instead. Give this smoothie a try, it will definitely surprise you!

INGREDIENTS (2 large smoothies or 4 small)

  • 10 large frozen strawberries, halved
  • A handful of frozen raspberries, about 5
  • 1 large slightly ripe avocado, cubed
  • 1 banana, cut into chunks
  • 1/4 cup frozen mango, or any tropical fruit
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened or light soy milk
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup cold water (start with 1/4 cup and add more if smoothie is too thick)
  • 4 packets of Splenda
In a blender, add all of the ingredients and blend it until you get your desired consistency. Add more water, if needed. Serve in tall glasses and enjoy! These smoothies make a great alternative to breakfast or a light lunch.

No comments: