Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Tuesday Night is SOLE Right!

My husband of exactly one month got me a subscription to a Cuisine at Home magazine that has all my creative juices going. I also have various other cooking magazine in my "office" that I love to read over and over. So, I came up with the following recipe for our Tuesday Night Sole Right!, which is a combination of various recipes I've read. **We're trying to incorporate more fish into our diet and since Dover Sole was on sale at Ralphs, I decided to give it a try. I hope you like it...my husband and I both loved it.** 15 Minute Pasta Sauce Adapted from a recipe in Fine Cooking magazine
  • 2 Tblsp. Olive Oil
  • 3 Minced garlic cloves
  • 2 containers of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
  • 1 Tsp. Kosher salt, or to taste
  • A couple of dashes of red pepper flakes
  • Fresh ground pepper to taste
  • A dash of sugar
  • 1 loose cup of finely julienned Basil

1. In a 10 or 11 inch shallow pan, heat the olive oil in med-low heat. Add the garlic and gently cook for about 5 minutes (don't let it brown or burn).

2. Add the cherry tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes, fresh ground pepper and sugar. Gently toss to coat. 3. Turn heat to medium-high until it starts to simmer. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until tomatoes turn into a thick, pulpy sauce. Add the basil last and serve immediately. You can toss your favorite pasta with this sauce or top off your pan fried fish with it. It's delightful! I've never cooked or had DOVER SOLE before. I Googled recipes for the fish and there were way too many complicated recipes out there. The simplest one I found only needed 5 ingredients, including the Sole. I slightly modified the recipe with the fresh squeezed lemon juice (see below) but it came out fabulous. The fish is not "fishy" at all and it turns out to be a very delightful, white flaky fish.

SOLE DONE RIGHT!
  • 4 to 6 Dover Sole fillets (about 1/4" thick each)
  • 1 cup flour
  • Butter
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • Half of a lemon
    1. In a large, shallow plate add the flour about a tsp. of Kosher salt and pepper. Mix with your fingers. 2. Clean fish by running them over cold water then pat them dry. Squeeze a bit of the lemon juice on both sides of each fillet. 3. Heat a large shallow non-stick pan. In medium-high heat, add about a tablespoon of butter. 4. Coat each fillet in the flour mixture and shake off any excess flour. Cook fillets in batches (about two at a time) for about 3 minutes on each side. Keep adding butter to each batch. The big finale! I plated a couple of fillets per plate and topped it with about two tablespoons of the pasta suauce and added fresh julienned basil to it. I then tossed the 15 Minute Pasta Sauce with tortellini and topped off the pasta with fresh, cubed mozzarella. You have to try this recipe because it's really delicious. ENJOY!
    THE FINALE!

    We paired our meal with a glass of St. Pepin wine.

    St. Pepin Crisp flavors with a hint of pineapple, apple, and pear aromas, off-dry with a medium body; similar to Sauvignon Blanc. Grapes: St. Pepin - a Minnesota grape grown in our vineyard $16

    No comments: