Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Chicken Mole (MOH-Lay)

Chicken Mole with rice and black beans In order to make authentic mole, you would need to set a few hours aside. The process of making mole is very time consuming, but the outcome is delicious. Some of the best moles I've tasted were from Oaxaca, Mexico; the spices were bursting withDoña María's Mole sauce flavor and aroma . But since I do not have time to toast my chiles, dry roast my tomatoes, and crush my spices, etc, I like to use Doña María's Mole sauce. This is a staple in most Mexican pantries and one can find it in many grocery stores in the U.S. The glass bottle the mole comes in can also be used afterwards. Simply rinse the jar, remove the label, and you can use it as a water glass! I remember that in our household in Mexico my abuelita Lucila used to have a collection of Doña María glasses!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 (8.25-ounce) jar DOÑA MARÍA® mole
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F**. Rinse chicken breasts and blot with paper towels. Spray with nonstick coating spray or brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper and place chicken on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake uncovered at 400°F for 30 minutes or until internal juices are no longer pink. **You can also sautee the chicken in batches in a 10-inch non-stick skillet, on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.** Set chicken aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Stir in Dona Maria Mole and heat for 1 to 2 minutes; stir constantly. Gradually add chicken broth; stir to dissolve mole, stirring freaquently. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer, covered with lid, for about 10 minutes.

Add the cooked chicken to the prepared mole sauce and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to serving plate and top with some of the mole mixture and sesame seeds. Serve with remaining mole mixture. Don't forget to serve cooked rice and black beans with the meal.

4 comments:

Rad said...

Thanks for the post, I work at a fire house in fairfax and wanted to make mole for the guys, but I had forgoten if I was supposed to cook the chicken first or cook it in the sauce, I also tried making tortillas but not enough salt, oh well I am looking forward to mole tonight. Thanks
Damien

Anonymous said...

I'm trying your recipe tonight.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recipe it has been a long time since I made mole and I forgot, you do not know how much I appreciate it my hubby is mexican American and I'm scottish Irish and even he forgot how to make it.

Tanguero said...

First, my Mexican Mom used Dona Maria, so you know it's good. And my mom also used to make amazing mole...from scratch. I find Armida's recipe just fine. But I'm also wondering if you can add the stuff to, say, Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce and get a more profound flavor. Grateful to know if anyone's tried that.